Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Japanese Sesame Dressing

Mizkan Creamy golden Sesame Dressing
In Japan I found this dressing a light sesame dressing, I brought some back with me and try to find it in the US but no luck. I have see on the internet that other people were looking for it also. I have tried a few recipes and came up with this one. To me it taste the closes to it. This is great over shredded cabbage.  In Japan the Japanese Restaurants seem to serve shredded cabbage with everything. 

I started off just making a small amount 2-3 serving but it goes to fast.  Now I just make a large batch and keep it in the bottle that I got in Japan see photo. If you would like to try a small serving I will add ingredients for 2-3 servings. A small amount goes a long way.

After it has been refrigerated it gets thick so I add a little water to it so it is not so thick.

Mizkan Creamy golden Sesame Dressing



For a large amount
Sesame Dressing
approx 4 1/2 cups


Ingredients: 
  •  1 1/2c. white sesame seeds
  • 1 c. Japanese or regular mayonnaise (I use regular mayonnaise)
  • 1 c.  rice vinegar
  • 3/4 c.  soy sauce
  • 2 tsp. Sweet n low or (8 pk of sweet n low sugar)
  • 4 tsp. mirin
  • 4 tsp. sesame oil
  • 8 pinch of salt (I use sea salt and just give 8 short turn)
Instructions:
  1. Put sesame seeds in a frying pan and toast them on low heat until 2-3 sesame seeds starts jumping (similar to popcorn). Remove from the heat immediately.
  2. Grind the roasted sesame seeds.  I just got an extra coffee grinder and use it. or just
    put the roasted sesame seeds in a circular grinder and grind them with a wooden pestle while they are hot.  If you don’t have a Japanese grinder any other spice grinder will do. It’s up to you how fine/coarse you want to grind the sesame seeds. Keeping the sesame seeds a bit coarse gives the salad more texture when eating, similar to adding nuts.
  3. Combine all in a bowl and whisk everything together.

    Toast sesame seeds


     Ingredients



     coffee grinder












    Sesame Dressing 
    approx Servings 2-3

    Ingredients:
    •  3 Tbsp white sesame seeds 
    •  2 Tbsp Japanese or regular mayonnaise (I use regular mayonnaise)
    •   2 Tbsp rice vinegar
    •   1 1/2 Tbsp  soy sauce 
    •  1 tsp sugar
    •  1/2 tsp. mirin 
    •  1/2 tsp. sesame oil 
    • 1 pinch of salt (I use sea salt)






No comments:

Post a Comment